Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.
To download, install (and optimally configure) G-WAN:
wget http://gwan.com/archives/gwan_linux64-bit.tar.bz2 tar -xjf gwan_linux64-bit.tar.bz2 cd gwan_linux64-bit sudo ./gwan (./gwan -h for help)
Then, type http://localhost:8080/ in your Web browser to play with the /gwan/.../csp samples, such as:
- AJAX forms (contact, loan, etc.)
- COMET (see the stock quotes streaming example)
- Realtime Bandwidth Shaping (see the throttle.c example)
- Caching (using G-WAN's wait-free integrated cache)
- G-WAN wait-free Key-Value store, SQLite, Tokyo Cabinet (all benchmarked)
- Web beacon (1x1 transparent pixel served at the speed of light say users)
- JSON (serialization and de-serialization, benchmarked)
- Chaptchas (easy for humans, hard for machines)
- Charts (area, bar, dot, line, pie, ring - using various styles)
- 24-bit anti-aliased images (frame buffers, PNG, PS, PDF, SVG, OpenGL)
- GIF fractals (ultra-fast in-memory GIF I/O)
- Currency conversions (using the European Central Bank rates)
- Data URIs (inlining images in HTML replies)
- HTTP headers (custom, without, automatically generated)
- HTML validation/clean-up (using the Tidy library)
- Redirection (conditional or static)
- Crash reports (caught in libc, C scripts and G-WAN calls)
- Server report (formatted in ASCII or HTML)
The manual documents server usage, basic and advanced functions and features like G-WAN handlers (which require 10 to 20x less code than Apache, Lighttpd or Nginx modules).
Upgrade: (a) overwrite your ./include, ./libraries files and the gwan executable with the new files and then (b) run G-WAN once without -d (daemon mode) to make sure that the maintenance, servlet and handler scripts compile.
The G-WAN development log is available here. You can also reach the relevant entry by clicking on a release date tag (top-right corner of this page).
Questions & Answers
Stackoverflow lists many more examples and will let you search for replies to common questions.
G-WAN works best on Linux distributions like Debian or CentOS, both of which offer 'Desktop' and 'Server' flavors.
For humans (38-page PDF)
G-WAN v1.0.4 – discontinued
Windows support was discontinued after Linux proved to be much faster.
› Promotional Artwork
These icons will embelish backlinks on your G-WAN-based Web sites.